Today, Nov 29th is Small Business Saturday, so don't forget to shop small and shop local.
In reality we should be shopping small and local EVERY day, not just this random Saturday. Supporting local business is essential for boosting local economy and creating jobs.
Here is a list of my favorites over my travels in the past couple years. Order is not indicative of my love for these places and this is not an exhaustive list.
- Lookout Brewing Company - Black Mountain, NC - Hands down some of the best beer I have ever drank. Always meticulously crafted with love and enthusiasm.
- Handsome Biscuit - Norfolk, VA - Really unique, flavorful and delicious variety of gourmet biscuits. Generally, this time of day (11AM) they've got a line out the door they're so good!
- Rebecca's Natural Food Store - Charlottesville, VA - awesome selection of fresh organic foods. Great gift options available that promote other local businesses, farmers, and sustainability.
- Peacecorn - Sarasota, FL - Norfolk, VA - Popcorn with a mission. Delicious non-GMO organic gourmet flavored popcorn served by some of the most passionate loving people you'll ever meet. Hoping to distribute to stores and online soon!
- C'ville-ian Brewing Company - Charlottesville, VA - delicious craft beers and a cozy ambiance. Stop in and see us or get a taste of our upcoming Imperial Black IPA at the Sibeerian Express Winter Beer Fest Jan 24th
- Asheville Community Yoga - Asheville, NC - this is a non-profit yoga studio that supports its community through providing wonderful yoga classes for free or by donation.
- Cogan's Pizza - Norfolk, VA - Best pizza in Norfolk (IMO). Great craft beer selection. All around, usually a good time to hang with awesome friends.
- Fresh - Black Mountain, NC - All their food is awesome, especially their giant cookies, but most especially their wood fired pizza. They also sell handmade pottery crafted by the owner.
- Cafe Stella - Norfolk, VA - Excellent espressos, friendly staff, great craft beer selection. Pretty much just a wonderful place to hang any time of the week. A Ghent visit tradition for me.
- Foreign Affairs Oriental Market - Asheville, NC - my go-to grocery store for Oriental cuisine ingredients. They have everything and a great selection from a number of brands. The staff is incredibly helpful and extremely knowledgeable.